Skip to content
Door icon

Damp and mould

Damp and mould can increase the risk of respiratory illness. Find out what you can do if you have damp and mould in your home.

This video shows what damp, mould and leaks look like in the home and what you should do if you are affected by any of these issues. 


Watch this video to help you set your central heating controls and save money on your energy bills


You can reduce condensation by: 

  • Heating your home – if you can, set your radiator valves to ‘1’ in unused rooms so they give a bit of heat when your heating is on. If you don’t have central heating, consider using a room heater with a timer and temperature control.
  • Reducing moisture in your home - for example, dry washing outside or in a well-ventilated room and not on radiators; keep the kitchen and bathroom doors closed when in use and open windows for ventilation; keep the lid on pots when cooking - this also helps cook food faster saving on energy use
  • Wipe down any condensation that forms on windows or sills, to prevent damage and mould growth. You can buy sponge strips at DIY stores, which catch condensation from windows.
  • Use extractor fans and cooker hoods where provided so the steam goes outside.


Sometimes damp is caused by condensation, a leak or water penetration. We are responsible for repairing all leaks in homes managed by the council, if you have a leak, please contact Housing Direct as soon as possible so we can help. 


  • To kill and remove mould, wipe down affected walls and window frames with a fungicidal wash, available from hardware and DIY stores. Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • If possible, leave a gap between your wall and furniture to allow air to circulate, and give wardrobes and cupboards a good airing sometimes.
  • Dry clean mildewed clothes and shampoo carpets. 
  • Be careful about disturbing mould by brushing or vacuum cleaning as this can increase the risk of respiratory problems.
  • After treatment, redecorate using a good-quality fungicidal paint to prevent mould coming back. This paint should not be covered with ordinary paints or wallpaper.

For more advice view the leaflet in the useful documents section.

Reporting a damp or mould problem

Council tenants and leaseholders who have a problem with damp and mould, can call Housing Direct on 020 7527 5400 or Freephone 0800 694 3344 or email and book a free survey. Our friendly surveyor will have a look, arrange any work the council needs to do, and give you tips and advice to get it sorted.

If you have a leak, please contact us as soon as possible. Our repairs webpage has details of how to report a leak, or any other repair.  

If you are not a council tenant or leaseholder, please contact your housing provider or landlord to report the damp and mould. Private renters can find out more about their landlord's responsibilities around tackling damp and mould on our Private sector housing webpages.


If you are having difficulty heating your home or managing your heating bills, contact Seasonal Health Intervention Network (SHINE) for free energy advice at

If you are disabled, the Housing Disability Panel may be able to support you. The panel can be contacted via Disability Action in Islington or telephone 020 7354 8925.

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.