Minor variations to a premises licence

Minor variations can be used, for example, to make small changes to premises licensing hours.


The application must be made by the premises licence holder and can be used to make small changes to existing premises licenses or club certificates, such as:

  • small changes to the structure or layout of a premises
  • adding late-night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as live music, performance of plays or film exhibitions) to the licence or certificate
  • small changes to licensing hours 
  • changing or removing unnecessary conditions on the licence
  • adding new voluntary conditions to the licence.  

It cannot be used to:  

  • add the sale or supply of alcohol to a licence
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold or supplied
  • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another
  • vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate
  • make changes to the designated premises supervisor.