There are almost 6,500 short stay parking bays in Islington in which you can pay to park via phone. Find out where they are on the interactive map.
Anyone can pay to park in these bays using RingGo app, or Paypoint shops. You will need your debit or credit card details and your vehicle registration number to do this.
Pay for your short stay by phone
- Pay by phone parking is available at every short stay parking bay in Islington; Sobell Leisure Centre and Sonderburg car parks are included.
- You will need the parking location number shown on the bay sign and will need to enter the number of minutes you want to park for.
- Pay by phone or sign up for the RingGo service and use their smartphone app.
- You will need your debit card details and your vehicle registration number to do this.
- You can then use your phone to top-up without returning to your car.
- You can opt in to receive a reminder text message letting you know when your parking time is about to end.
- If you don’t have a smart phone you can call 020 7125 0039 to pay for your parking.
Throughout the borough drivers can pay for short stay parking via RingGo or at Paypoint shops with cash.
To find the nearest Paypoint shop text ‘shop’ and the 5 digit location number to 81025.
Restrictions and costs
The cost of parking in a short stay bay varies between £2.50 to £6.35 depending on the location. Use RingGo to check prices.
For more information, visit our terms and conditions page for short stay parking
Short stay bays may be suspended for highways works, special events or other reasons. You must check the signs each time you park. Any vehicle parked in a suspended bay is liable to receive a parking ticket and may also be removed.
Blue Badge holders can park in short stay parking bays for an unlimited time.
Petrol surcharge on short stay parking
In line with the council’s net zero carbon aims, petrol and petrol hybrid vehicles will be subject to a surcharge on top of the standard tariff. The surcharge will vary with the CO2 emissions produced by your vehicle, the higher the emissions and higher the fuel surcharge. From January 2023 the surcharge will increase depending on the CO2 emissions of your vehicle.
|Petrol fuel surcharge||Surcharge per hour|
|Over 226g/km CO2||£3.75|
Diesel Surcharge on short stay parking
From January 2023, the previous diesel fuel surcharge of £5.10 per hour will increase to £6.50 per hour. This will apply to all diesel vehicles paying for short stay parking in Islington. This is to help reduce harmful emissions and improve air quality in Islington. Find out more about diesel surcharge.
Electric Vehicles in short stay parking bays
As part of our commitment to a net zero carbon strategy, we continue to incentivise the use of electric vehicles over internal combustion engines.
As we look to encourage more active travel methods, such as walking and cycling, the concessionary rate for electric vehicles will rise to £2 from January 2023.
Simply select the time period you wish to park for and the system will charge you up to the concessionary rate. Maximum stay and the 'no return within one hour' rules still apply (check signs). The concessionary rate does not apply during additional match day hours.
Match day controls
From January 2023, the parking tariff in bays subject to match day controls will be £12.50 per hour during the additional match day hours plus any fuel surcharge.
Please note that visitor e-vouchers can be used at £2 per half hour (or £1 per half hour for discounted e-vouchers) plus any fuel surcharge. Paper visitor vouchers cannot be used during match day controls. Find out more about Emirates Stadium match day controls.
From January 2023, motorcycles parking in dedicated motorcycle bays will be subject to a £1 charge per day, valid until 11.59pm the same day.
Residents with a valid motorcycle permit do not need to pay this charge and can park in any motorcycle bay.
- Resident motorcycle permits cost £61.20 a year or £30.60 for electric motorcycles.
- Apply for one through our parking system. You must register for an account first if you have not purchased a permit before or are renewing after 1 February 2023.
Non-residents can register for a non-resident motorcycle permit through our parking partner RingGo. You can buy a permit that lasts for a week or longer, up to a year. This permit can be used for any motorcycle bay.
- First, register online on the RingGo website.
- Once registered, you can use the RingGo app, website, or call 0203 046 0005 and buy the permit duration required.
|Permit length||Cost for petrol motorcycles||Cost for electric motorcycles|
Signs show the pay by phone provider’s number and location code of the bay. The process is the same as our other short-stay parking spaces.
Emirates Stadium restrictions
Find out when and where parking is restricted on Arsenal home match days
View the map
Use the map to view all the types of parking we offer and where they are in Islington.
Loading and unloading
When and where you can park to load and unload a vehicle on a public road in Islington