We can help any council tenant who is living in a home that is too big for them and wants to move somewhere smaller.
Contact us on 020 7527 4140 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we can chat through the options – we might even be able to help with your moving costs and pay up to £500 for each spare room in your current property.
Beat the ‘bedroom tax’
If you have more bedrooms than are allowed under new government rules and you are within working age, your Housing Benefit will be cut. This is being called the bedroom tax.
If you receive pension credit you will not be affected by the bedroom tax.
Find out how much you could lose and how you can beat the ‘bedroom tax’.
You can be exempted from the bedroom tax on your first spare room and get Council help with it on a second room if you become a foster carer.
There are a few different ways that you could downsize to a smaller home, depending on your circumstances:
- Apply for a transfer as an under-occupier you will have a higher priority on the transfer list
- Swap homes with a family who need a larger home through a mutual exchange. Many more people get the home they want though swapping rather than through the transfer list. You can choose where you want to move to, it can be very quick. If you have 200 points or less this is probably your best option.
- If you are over 55, you can apply for sheltered accommodation.
- If you are over 60, you could apply for the Seaside and Country Homes Scheme.
- The Housing Moves Scheme to downsize and relocate to another London borough gives priority to ‘under occupiers’.
How we can help?
We can help and advise you on:
- bidding for a transfer to a smaller property on the Home Connections website
- clearing your property of unwanted furniture and carpets
In some case we can offer you up to £500 for each spare room and up to £400 to pay your moving costs.
For more information please contact us on 020 7527 4140 or email@example.com.