Housing icon

Transferring to another property

Council or housing association tenants can apply to transfer to another property in Islington. There are also options if you want to move out of Islington.

We cannot offer a council home to most people who apply - and this is not likely to improve. Last year we let only 1200 properties, housing around 6% of the 19,000 households on our housing register.

If you are already a council or housing association tenant we suggest you register for a mutual exchange or home swap. This will greatly increase your chances of a move. To register go to Home Swapper.

Applying for a transfer

Who can apply for a transfer?

Anyone can apply for a transfer, but if you have missed rent payments, you will not be eligible unless there are exceptional circumstances which have been agreed with the area housing office or your housing association first. Usually you will have to make an arrangement with your area housing office to pay some of what you owe and you will have to keep to this agreement for at least six months.

Who has priority?

Priority for housing transfers are given to tenants who have urgent reasons for moving, for example if:

  • There are serious medical problems
  • Islington council has planned major repairs or improvements and you need to move out for
  • Your home is too large for you and you need to downsize
  • Tenants are under threat of violence or serious harm
  • A tenant whose home is too small for them

How to apply for a transfer?

You can register for a transfer with the council or your housing association using the Application for Housing form.  Make sure that the information on your application form is correct and tell us if your circumstances change in any way, as this could affect your application.

If you need help to fill in the online application form, please call in to your local housing office or call the Housing Options team.  

You will be awarded points according to your current situation and if you have 120 points or more you can bid on our advertised properties using Home Connections

Please see the number of points that resulted in successful bids for the year April 2014 to 2015.

For more information about transfers please contact the Housing Options team on
020 7527 4140 or rehousing@islington.gov.uk.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.