Icon of a housing block

Moving home for council tenants

Options for moving elsewhere in Islington or outside the borough.

For more information on any of the schemes below, please contact the Housing Options team at rehousing@islington.gov.uk. Alternatively you can call 020 7527 4140

We are based at: Islington Customer Centre, 222 Upper Street, N1 1XR

  • Downsizing

    If you live in a council property that is too big for you, we can help you to downsize to a smaller, more manageable home

  • Help with overcrowding

    We want everyone to live in homes with enough space. Our overcrowding advisors can visit you in your home to find out what you need and work out the best way we can help

  • Swapping homes

    The quickest way to move is often by finding another tenant who would like to swap homes with you. This is called a ‘mutual exchange’.

  • Transferring to another property

    Council or housing association tenants can apply to transfer to another property in Islington. There are also options if you want to move out of Islington.

  • Change of circumstances

    If you are on the housing register and something has changed, please tell us so we can update your points.