Skip to content
Door icon

Help with overcrowding

We want everyone to live in homes with enough space. Our overcrowding advisors can visit you in your home to find out what you need and work out the best way we can help

Your options for moving into a bigger home

  • Apply for a transfer. If your home is severely overcrowded you can apply to transfer to a bigger home.
  • Swap homes with a family that have spare rooms through a mutual exchange. Find out more in the Smart Move leaflet at the bottom of the page. 

How we can help

Overcrowding advisors can give you housing options advice as well as information on:

  • realistic bidding advice
  • advice on how to maximise space within your home
  • rehousing older children into their own accommodation (New Generation Scheme)
  • education and employment information

Space saving tips for your home

More information 

For more information please contact the Housing Options team on 020 7527 4140 or

We are based at Islington Customer Centre, 222 Upper Street, London N1 1XR.

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.