Schools icon

Apply for a secondary school place

If your child is due to start secondary school, you must apply online

How to apply

Before you start, you'll need: 

An email address. 

If you need help setting up email or using the web, we offer free guidance and training in using your computer and getting online.  

Proof of your address 

You need to provide one of the following:  

  • Your Council Tax reference number (you can find this on your Council Tax bill).
  • A copy of your most recent rent, mortgage statement or tenancy agreement.
  • Two documents which show your address, e.g. a utility bill, bank statement, or a letter from your GP, hospital, dentist or optician 

Proof that your child lives with you

You also need to provide one of the following: 

  • A copy of your most recent child benefit or family tax credit letter, as long as it shows your child’s name and address
  • Two documents from the following:
    • A letter from your child’s GP, dentist, hospital or optician. 
    • NHS Medical Card. 
    • Child Trust Fund document. 
    • The page in your child’s health record book that has their name and address. 

All documents must be less than a year old. Documents can be uploaded with your online admissions application. Don’t delay your application, even if you don’t have all the proofs of address that we need – we’ll contact you later with advice on what to do.

How to apply*

All secondary schools except City of London Academy, Highgate Hill (COLA-HH). Please see further below for information on how to apply to COLA-HH.  

Apply online

You need to register first. You’ll then be sent an email giving details of how to start your application. You can do your application in stages. You can change the order of schools listed, and other information as many times as you want before you submit the application.

Once you’re happy with your application, make sure you press ‘Submit’.

The online system checks for errors or missing information. 

A reference number is sent to your registered email confirming safe receipt of your application. Please make a note of your username and Application Reference Number as you’ll need them to access your application.

You can reset your password at any time from the login page. 

As well as the main online admissions application, you may need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) for some schools. This information is included in the school’s fact file. The SIF must be sent directly to the school. You must still complete the online e-Admissions application

The address you give must be your child’s current permanent address (the place where they spend most of their time Monday to Friday) on 15 January 2017.  

If you give false or misleading information about your (or your child’s) address, the school place may be withdrawn, and you may be prosecuted. 

How to apply for City of London Academy Highgate Hill (COLA-HH)

The City of London Academy Highgate Hill will be opening in Islington in September 2017. To apply for a Year 7 secondary transfer place, you must complete a separate online form. 

Applications cannot be made through the online e-Admissions system. 

Apply online for COLA-HH

You should still apply for up to six other schools using the e-admissions application form. You can choose six preferences, and also apply for a place at COLA-HH.

For queries or further information, please contact:
Tara Habbershaw, COLA-HH on 020 7281 3536

Help filling in your online application 

Phone: 020 7527 5515 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday for advice or to book a face-to-face appointment. 

Help with technical problems only 

Phone: 020 8255 5555 (Option 1) 


Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select