Who can use this service
If you live in Islington, you can arrange for us to collect large items of household waste like mattresses, furniture and cookers that cannot be reused.
If you live in an Islington Council managed estate, your property will have a lumber point available and you do not need to pay for bulky waste collections. Estate residents should contact their caretaker or housing office for details on where to leave bulky waste.
For non-Islington estate properties, your property manager may have arrangements in place for disposal of bulky waste. Please check with your property manager. If they do not, please book a bulky waste collection. However, the item(s) must be presented at ground level in an accessible location for collection such as, not behind a locked gate or within a building or similar.
This collection service is for domestic waste only. If you are a business and require bulky waste collections, please call 0207 527 4900 or email email@example.com
How much it costs
We charge £10 per item, with a minimum cost of £30. There's a 50% discount if you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax support.
Items we can collect
We collect most household items that are too big to put in your bin. We only collect:
- items ordered for collection. Additional items will not be collected.
- items ordered for collection left in the agreed location.
- items left at the correct time. Items should be out and available by 7am on the day of collection
- items that are safe to collect. For example, items should not be dangerous such as with protruding nails, sharp edges or similar.
These collections are for items that you would take with you when you move house. We will not collect fixtures or fittings attached to the property such as toilets, doors and countertops.
We will not collect builders waste, items over six feet, paint or soil.
If you do not leave your items out as instructed, they may not be collected and your payment will not be refunded.
Can your items be reused?
If your items are in good condition and can be reused, please arrange a reuse collection instead. It’s cheaper and the items will be cleaned or refurbished and sold to local people at affordable prices.
What to do with other items
If you have any items not covered by our services, you can use apps to find an alternative provider:
- LoveJunk is an online marketplace for the collection of bulky waste, furniture and appliances. It matches you to nearby licensed waste carriers and also reuse charities and is free to use.
- TipTapp is for items such as broken furniture, old mattresses, bulky waste, or garden waste just set the price you are willing to pay and within minutes you will be offered times for same or next day removal from your address.
Fly-tipping is illegal and we regularly prosecute fly-tippers. You could face a fine of £400 as well as criminal prosecution.
Cancellations and refunds
We will not provide refunds for items that are not left out as instructed or for items that are booked for collection and have been removed by a third party.
For more information on cancellations and refunds, please see the link to the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page.
Leaving items for collection
Items for collection must be placed at the front of your property at ground level in a visible and accessible location by 7am on the chosen collection day.
Book a collection online
Before you start:
- read about what items we collect and how much it costs
- you'll need a debit or credit card to use this service
- if you're applying for the discounted rate, you’ll need your reference number (you'll find it on your Benefit Decision Notice)
By continuing you agree to our terms and conditions.
Reuse and Recycling Centre
You can dispose of your household recycling and rubbish at the Reuse and Recycling Centre
What you can and can't recycle
You can recycle a lot of waste but you might be confused about what to put in your containers. This information, with leaflets and posters, will help you make the right decision
Collecting for Reuse
Our furniture reuse collection service is for household items that can be cleaned and refurbished for resale