Housing icon

How we will assess if we have a legal duty to house you?

If we cannot stop you from becoming homeless we may have to give you temporary housing while we investigate if it is Islington Council’s responsibility to provide longer term housing.

In the first place this is likely to be hotel type accommodation as half of our temporary accommodation is outside Islington.

Councils no longer have to offer homeless people a council or housing association home but can instead offer them a property with a private landlord.

By law, all local authorities must find out if they have a responsibility to provide someone with long term housing.

To see if you are someone a local authority has a responsibility to help if they are homeless, please visit the Shelter website.

How to get help

If you think you might become homeless, please contact the Housing Aid Team as soon as possible, so that we can try to prevent you from losing your home.

Tel: 020 7527 2000

Email: advice.housing@islington.gov.uk

If the Housing Aid Team give you an appointment to visit the office, please bring the following documents with you:

  • proof of identity - full birth certificates or passports for all the people in your household
  • documents concerning the loss of your housing - for example, letters from your landlord or the court informing you that you must leave
  • proof of income - for example, wage slips, benefit books, P45, bank statements and savings books
  • details of where you have lived for the last five years - such as tenancy agreements, rent books or receipts for rent , postmarked letters, bills, bank statements, medical cards
  • if relevant, documents confirming you are married or divorced, you have custody of children, you are pregnant, any medical information you have.
Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.