Personal licence - apply

A personal licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a licensed premises. Applicants must apply for a licence in the borough where they live.

You no longer need to renew your personal licence every 10 years and any expiry date shown on the licence can be disregarded.


Only persons who hold a personal licence, or those who have been authorised by someone with a personal licence, may supply alcohol at licensed premises. 

In addition, all licensed premises where alcohol is sold must employ a personal licence holder to be named on the licence. This person is known as the designated premises supervisor.

You must apply for a personal licence in the borough where you live and not where you work, unless they are the same.

You must be aged 18 years or over, be entitled to work in the UK and hold an accredited qualification (see 'Related information' below).

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.