Personal licence - apply

A personal licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a licensed premises. Applicants must apply for a licence in the borough where they live.

You no longer need to renew your personal licence every 10 years and any expiry date shown on the licence can be disregarded.

Apply for a licence

You must apply for a personal licence in the borough where you live and not where you work, unless they are the same. 

You must be aged 18 years or over, be entitled to work in the UK and hold an accredited qualification.

You need to send us:

  • a completed personal licence application form (see 'Useful documents' below)
  • a completed disclosure of convictions and declaration form (see 'Useful documents' below)
  • two passport-style photographs, one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification 
  • an accredited personal licence qualification (see 'Related information' below)
  • a criminal record certificate or similar which must have been issued within the last month of applying. We will not be able to accept certificates that are older than one month
  • documentary evidence of your entitlement to work in the UK. The application form includes a list of acceptable documents.

Send the documents and photos, along with a cheque for £37 made payable to Islington Council to the Licensing team, 222 Upper Street, London N1 1XR.

You can email the documents to but you must send your endorsed photos to us in the post or deliver them in person to the office.

We will contact you to take payment over the phone if you make the application via email.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.