Fob key icon

Domestic abuse support for Islington council tenants

If you’re an Islington council tenant, we can support you if you’re experiencing domestic abuse or violence.

Use this page safely

If you need to leave this page quickly, use the "Exit this page" button and you'll go to the BBC homepage. If you're worried about someone knowing you have visited this website visit the cover your tracks page

Exit this page

Anyone can be a victim of domestic violence and abuse. It can happen between intimate partners, household members or carers.

See how domestic abuse is defined at the website.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

All the support services listed below remain open and ready to help. They can offer flexible, remote support on the phone, by text, email or webchat/WhatsApp.

Always call 999 in an emergency. If you are unable to talk, press 55 when the call is answered. This alerts the operator and the police will be sent to help you.

What is domestic abuse?

Body: Physical violence is just one type of abuse, domestic abuse can be any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

 Some examples of domestic abuse can be:

  • Psychological, such as preventing contact with family/friends and threats
  • Unwanted sexual activity such as rape or being forced to take part in sexual acts
  • Financial, such as witholding or stealing money from you, or preventing you from working
  • Emotional, such as humiliating you in front of others, insulting or mocking you, silent treatment, name calling or yelling and swearing
  • Honour-based violence, female genital mutilation (FGM), forced marriage and forced termination of pregnancy

Leave this page

What is coercive and controlling behaviour?

Coercive control is repeated acts or behaviours which make you feel controlled, scared, humiliated or frightened of the abuser. For example, repeatedly putting you down or isolating you from your friends and family so you become dependent on the person causing you abuse.

If you are in immediate danger, you should always call the police on 999. 


Housing options

If you are an Islington Council tenant

If you are an Islington Council tenant or a member of their household you can contact Housing Tenancy Services. We will offer you support and advice, provide practical help and be sensitive and understanding when we discuss you’re housing options.

Our staff are trained to deal with sensitive situations. We will talk with you in confidence and discuss what to do next. If you prefer, we can offer you the opportunity to speak to someone of the same gender.

Call Housing Tenancy Services on 0207 527 5300



Do not make any immediate decisions such as giving up your tenancy until you have received advice.

Leave this page


Support for perpetrators 

The Respect Phone Line is a confidential helpline for people who are concerned about their own behaviour. Offers information and advice to support perpetrators to stop their abuse. P: 0808 802 4040 W: 

Support for other residents

If you are not an Islington Council tenant and are affected by domestic abuse, you can speak to the housing options team about your housing options.

Call Housing Options Team on 020 7527 4140 (Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 10am to 4.30pm)



Making your home safe

Islington Council's Home Shelter scheme is designed for residents who have experienced domestic abuse to continue living safely in their own home, by adding additional security measures to your home.

For example, we can install fireproof letterboxes, fit a stronger door and window locks.

Housing Tenancy Services can assist with making a referral to our Home Shelter Scheme.

Leave this page

Other useful links and organisations that can help

  • National Domestic Helpline provides confidential support and advice to women experiencing domestic abuse. Call their freephone line, open 24-hours a day on 0808 2000 247.
  • GALOP specialises in providing advice and support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0800 999 5428 to speak to someone in confidence.
  • Solace provides free and confidential support for women and men in Islington affected by domestic abuse. Call 020 3795 5070 or email (lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm).
  • Men's Advice Line offers non-judgemental emotional support, practical advice and support to men experiencing domestic abuse. Contact their freephone line on 0808 8010327.
  • Samira project provides advice, information and support to women from BAMER (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugees background) experiencing domestic abuse. Call their advice line on 020 7354 1359.

If safe to do so download the Bright Sky app:

For IOS users download it on the App Store

For android users download it from Google Play

 Women’s aid survivor handbook provides practical support and information for women experiencing domestic abuse, with simple guidance on every aspect of seeking support.

Download the survivor’s handbook in print and audio

Download for the survivor’s handbook in other languages  

Leave this page 

Who to contact

If you’re an Islington Council tenant or a member of their household, please contact your local housing officer for support. 

  • Call 020 7527 5300 (9am – 5pm)

We will offer help with domestic abuse and violence, and our staff are skilled to deal with sensitive situations.

All conversations are confidential, and you can speak to someone of your own gender.

Other useful contacts

  • Solace Women’s Aid offer a variety of services including: Advice and Advocacy, Counselling, Children, young people and family services, Refuges, Sexual Violence Services (North London Rape Crisis) and support for women aged over 55.

Call Solace in Islington on 020 3795 5070 or email (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)

Call 0808 2000 247 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week).

  • Women's Aid provide life-saving services and build a future where domestic violence is not tolerated.

Live chat or email

  • Refuge helps people rebuild their lives and overcome many different forms of violence and abuse.

Call 0808 2000 247 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week)

  • Respect works with perpetrators, male victims and young people using violence in their close relationships.

Call 0808 802 4040, or for the Men's Advice Line call 0808 801 0327

  • GALOP are an the LGBT+ anti-violence charity.

Call 0800 999 5428 (Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm (Wednesday and Thursday, 10am-8pm)) or email (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm)

  • Latin American Women’s Aid (LAWA) is a free support service for Latin American, Black and minority ethnic women and children experiencing, or recovering from, domestic violence.

Call 0753 442 4826 (Spanish and English) (9.30am-5.30pm) or 0746 200 3324 (Portuguese and English) (9.30am- 1pm)

  • IMECE Women’s Centre stands against all forms of violence against women and girls. They support and empower Turkish, Kurdish and Cypriot Turkish women and Black, Asian, minority ethnic, refugee (BAMER) and migrant women to improve the quality of their lives.

Call 020 7354 1359 or email

  • Kurdish and Middle Eastern Women’s Organisation (KMEWO) work to ensure that the Kurdish and Middle Eastern women in the UK are supported and empowered; provided with advice, advocacy, educational opportunities and training, in the hope of helping them to achieve a better standard of life, free from any violence and with legal freedoms intact. 

 Call 020 7263 1027 (office), 07748 851 125 (mobile), 07412 364 046 (mobile) or email

  • Maa Shanti provide services to support women from the South Asian Community who are fleeing domestic violence.

Call 07340 990119 or 07904 034 278 (Monday-Friday 9am-3pm), or email

  • Families First is designed to provide locally-based advice, information and help to the families who need it most by tackling difficulties early and stopping them from escalating.

Call 020 7527 4343 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm) or email

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.