Phone number: 020 7527 4827
Address: Vorley Road, Islington, London N19 5HE.
If you would like to express your interest in this children's centre, please fill out this online form
Learn more about our other council-managed nurseries.
About the centre
Archway Children’s Centre achieved 'outstanding' in the recent OFSTED inspection, with the report saying: "Staff have high expectations for children's learning and provide a very well-planned curriculum. Staff prioritise the happiness and well-being of all the children in all areas of their development by listening carefully to children's thoughts and opinions. Staff are very kind and caring and support children in all areas without becoming intrusive. Leaders prioritise staff's well-being and professional development. Partnership working with parents is excellent. Children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) make excellent progress in relation to their starting points".
Archway Children's Centre has a spacious garden with chickens, mud kitchen, children’s planting areas and calm spaces to explore natural materials the Forest School way. The environment is organised in a way that meets the children’s needs and interests, supports and extends children’s development and learning through exploration of resources and materials, developing ideas, solve problems and manage risks.
At Archway Children’s Centre we have an integrated, holistic, and responsive approach which develops children’s physical health, emotional wellbeing, resilience, independence, creative and critical thinking skills, respect for themselves, others and for the environment.
This is done through sensitive and positive interactions, acknowledging and valuing children’s opinions and feelings; celebrating children’s achievements, uniqueness and individualism; providing an enabling environment; welcoming diversity and having strong parent partnerships so all children reach their full potential to achieve positive outcomes.
At the core of our curriculum is Trauma Informed Practice (iTIPs) with aspects of ‘Loving Pedagogy’ which enables children to develop a positive self-image, have high self-esteem and become confident.
Awards and recognition
- Archway Children's Centre is recognised as an Islington Healthy Early Years setting and has received the Healthy Early Years London Gold Award.
- Islington Healthy Early Years works with settings to ensure a good level of support for the health and wellbeing of children under five and their families. Healthy Early Years London (HEYL) is an awards scheme funded by the Mayor of London which recognises Early Years settings’ achievements in child health, wellbeing and development.
- Archway Children’s Centre is on Islington's register of good practice for 'Imaginative Approaches to Exploring Media and Materials'.
- "My child’s key person goes beyond to update me with my child’s progress and shares suggestions to better support his needs. I am most satisfied with communication from staff and level of professionalism." - Parent
- "Archway Children's Centre is a wonderful place. The staff are attentive, caring and are obviously invested in the children they look after. The facilities are fantastic, particularly the outdoor space, and it's clear that all the children enjoy their time and are able to develop all their skills in a secure environment." -Parent
- "I love the ethos of Archway – the value of ‘nurture’, of inclusivity and holistic learning. I love the focus on creativity and Forest School. I look forward to putting my wellies on each day to explore our amazing garden with the children and I have always enjoyed working in a ‘children’s centre’ environment with families and professional partners all under one roof. In this way, Archway CC has developed a community hub for under-fives and their families with a unique and inspiring environment where all children are deeply valued" - Staff member