Apply for a new alcohol or entertainment premises licence

If you wish to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late-night refreshment on a permanent basis then you must usually apply for a premises licence.

For one-off or occasional events, where there will be less than 500 people present, you may be able to submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) instead.

Licence cost

The cost of a premises licence application depends on your premises’ rateable value. You can find the rateable value on the GOV.UK website

Premises that are exempt from non-domestic rating are allocated to Band A. Premises that do not have a national non-domestic rateable value because they under construction are allocated to Band C.

No fee is payable for an application for a premises licence if it is for the provision of regulated entertainment only and it is an application:

  • from an educational establishment and the entertainment is carried out for and on behalf of an educational establishment
  • for a church hall or community hall.

Annual fee

An annual fee is also payable if your premises licence application is granted. This fee also depends on your premises’ rateable value.

Large-capacity venue fee

An additional fee is payable for premises with a capacity of 5,000 or more. Please contact the alcohol licensing team for details.

Late-Night Levy charge

An annual Late-Night Levy is charged to all licensed premises in Islington that are authorised to sell alcohol between 00.01am and 06.00am.