Health advice and support for adults in Islington
Enjoy a range of health support and information to help you:
- get fitter
- achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- stop smoking
- drink less
- get an NHS health check.
Find out if you’re at higher risk of a health problem, so you can get support earlier.
Types of screening you can get:
- new born babies
- diabetic eye screening
- breast screening
- bowel cancer
You can find out more about screening programmes from NHS Choices
Give feedback about health and care services
You can improve health and care services by sharing you stories with Healthwatch.
Visit the Healthwatch website
Drug and alcohol
If you are having concerns or problems with alcohol, you can get free support today.
Get advice on
- staying in control of alcohol
- hangover cures
- contacts if you have alcohol problems
- support and therapy for alcoholism
Online alcohol support in Islington
The One You Islington website can give you support and information about stopping drinking and how cut down on alcohol.
On the website you’ll find.
- a free drinks tracker app for your phone
- information about how to cut down on alcohol
- help to find alcohol support groups if you or someone you know needs one
Drug and alcohol support centres in Islington
Drug and alcohol users and their families can directly access information, advice, assessment and a comprehensive range of treatments.
Find a drug and alcohol support centre near you
Seven Sisters Road
Monday 9.30am to 8pm, Tuesday 12pm to 5pm, Wednesday 9.30am to 5pm
Thursday 12pm to 5.00pm, Friday 9.30am to 6pm
Telephone 020 3317 6099
Grays Inn Road
Telephone 020 3317 6650
Monday 9am to 5pm, Tuesday 9am to 8pm, Wednesday 9am to 8pm
Thursday 9am to 1pm, Friday: 9am to 5pm
Better Lives Family Service N1
Telephone 020 3317 7437
The family service is open every day, Monday – Friday, from 10am to 6pm
Telephone 0203 3177277
Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust website
- Download information about Islington drug and alcohol support centres (PDF)
You can also email us to make a referral to any of these services.
If you’re a new parent, you can get free support before your baby is born, as well as and breastfeeding advice.
Support for breastfeeding
The Whittington and UCH hospitals can support you in your first few days.
They also provide telephone support.
Telephone 020 3316 8439.
Breastfeeding support groups in Islington
You can also visit a weekly breastfeeding drop-in groups at children’s centres across Islington.
For more information about times and locations visit the Breastfeeding Network website.
Free five-week antenatal course
Before the birth of your baby, this free course can give you support an information about:
- managing your labour
- pain relief, relaxation
- feeding your baby
- your relationship with your baby
- Willow Children’s Centre, 1A Holbrooke Court, N7 0BF
- Bemerton Children’s Centre, Coatbridge House, N1 0DX
- New River Green Children’s Centre, 23 Ramsey Walk, N1 2SX
To book your place please speak to your midwife, family support worker or professional involved in your care.
For further information, you can also telephone or message 07887 627231
Healthy living activities for families
Open to all families living with a child aged 2 to 11 years at school, or registered with a GP in Camden or Islington.
- fun and active play
- healthy eating and general healthy living
- workshops delivered over 4 weeks
- cooking and eating workshops for families with children aged 2 to 11
You don't need a referral, just contact us today.
Telephone 020 7527 5866.
Support for overweight children
If you are worried about your child’s weight you can get advice on food, activity, weight and health.
Last year, over 65% of children who took part in the programme lost or maintained their weight.
If you’d like to cut down on the amount of sugar you eat, you can get advice and information on the Sugar Smart website
Find a pharmacy in Islington
Pharmacies can support you with most common illnesses, as well as give you advice on having a healthier life by stopping smoking, cutting down on alcohol, diet or sexual health advice.
Find a pharmacy in Islington
See more information on the support you can get at your local pharmacy at the gov.uk website
Healthy living pharmacies
These are pharmacies who meet a government standard of quality care in their community.
How healthy living pharmacies can:
- support you with healthy living and wellbeing
- improve health in the local area
- have trained pharmacy team, with a pharmacist
- consistently deliver a range of high-quality NHS services
- maintains premises to a high professional standard with private consultation facilities
- work closely with other healthcare providers