Skip to content

Changes to how you report a problem on a street or request containers and bags

We have made some changes to make it easier to report a problem on a street (e.g. full litter bins, dog fouling), missed rubbish or recycling collections, and to how you order new recycling containers or bags.

You can report issues or request a service from us by downloading the Love Clean Streets app or reporting it online through My Islington, which is the new customer account where you can also access more services like council tax. By registering you can also track the progress of your report online. 

If you use this service, please help us to improve things in future by completing a short survey to let us know what you think.

Rubbish bins icon

Fly-tipping and littering

How we are tackling the problem of fly-tipping and how you can help us by reporting it.

Fly-tipping is against the law

Fly-tipping is 'the illegal/unlawful deposit of any waste onto land with no licence to accept waste'. It includes anything from general household waste to fridges, sofas, mattresses, garden waste, rubble and tyres.  

If you leave large items, builders’ waste, cardboard/boxes of waste, and multiple bags (including recycling bags) alongside street recycling points, you are fly-tipping.

If you’re caught, you could be fined £400. If you don’t pay your fine or persistently fly-tip, you can be prosecuted and fined up to £50,000 in court.

It is also an offence to permit fly tipping on private land.


We aim to reduce the level of littering by providing litter education in several ways and by raising awareness across the borough of the consequences of unlawful littering.

If one of our authorised officers has witnessed you dropping litter in a public area, you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN). This includes small items like cigarette ends and chewing gum, as well as larger items of waste.

You have 14 days from the date of issue to pay the fine. If you do not pay within 28 days, the case will be heard in court, where you could be ordered to pay a fine of up to £2,500 plus costs.

Report it

If you discover a fly-tip you should visually inspect the site, but do not touch it or disturb it.

You can report it in the following ways:

  • Download the Love Clean Streets app to your phone. From Google Play or the Apple store.

  • Log into your My Islington account. If you don’t have an account and want to track your reports and access more services like council tax, register now.

  • Report anonymously through the Love Clean Streets website. You won’t be able to track your report if you choose this option.

We remove any fly-tipped waste, except from private land, within 72 hours of it being reported.

Spotted someone fly-tipping?

Help keep Islington clean. If you spot someone fly-tipping, report it to our anti-social behaviour team so we can catch them out. Please provide as much detail as you can.  

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.