Planning documents icon

Community Infrastructure Levy process guide

If CIL applies to your development, there are several things you must do before you start any work. This step-by-step guide will show you how. 

Stage 4: Before you start work (commencement notice)

You need to give us a commencement notice before you start work (the latest is one day before you start)

We’ll confirm receipt of the form, update the records and send you a demand notice (ask for payment of the CIL).

Download the commencement notice (PDF)

Email the form to us and we’ll send you a receipt.


Starting work or commencement means any material operation that is carried out on the relevant land, including:

  • erecting a building
  • demolishing a building
  • digging a trench
  • laying underground pipes or mains
  • any operation to construct a road or any change in the use of land that is classed as material development.
Was this information helpful?

  1. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.