Stage 3: Apply for relief or an exemption
You may be able to get relief for your development or a portion of your development eg. social housing relief and charitable relief.
We don’t automatically grant relief from CIL.
You will need to apply and give us evidence to support your application.
To apply for relief you must:
- be the person who will pay the CIL (assumption of liability)
- apply using the correct form
- apply and receive a decision from us before you start any work
You can read more on the GOV.uk web page.
To apply you need to complete the claiming exemption or relief forms on the Planning Portal.
There are four types of exemption:
- self-build – whole house
- self-build – residential annex
- self-build – residential extension
- minor development
You can read more on the GOV.uk webpage.
To apply for a self-build exemption, you need to use the correct form:
- whole house self-build exemption – download the Planning Portal’s self-build exemption claim form part 1 (PDF) followed by further supporting information. When the development is finished you need to complete the self-build exemption claim form part 2 (PDF)
- residential annex self-build exemption – download the Planning Portal’s: self-build residential annex exemption claim form (PDF).
- residential extension self-build exemption – download the Planning Portal’s: self-build residential extension exemption claim form (PDF).