What kinds of repairs?
- Electrical works e.g. repairs to sockets and lights, adding and moving electrical fittings, additional phone sockets
- Heating repairs e.g. central heating and radiators.
- Home maintenance e.g. fitting curtain rails or shelves, assembling flat pack furniture, fixing problems with doors and windows
- Plumbing e.g. plumbing in washing machines, repair of leaks in pipe work, replacement taps and fittings
- Security e.g. door and window locks, fitting spyholes and chains, hinge bolts.
This is not an exhaustive list. Please contact the team to find out if the repair you require is covered by the scheme.
Who is eligible?
The service is for older, or vulnerable residents, and those with a disability. Carers registered with the Islington Carers Hub can also use the service.
You do not need to live in a council property to be eligible. However, the service does not cover repairs that are the responsibility of a landlord.
What are the charges for the service?
There are two rates.
- Rate 1, for households on low income, receiving a means tested benefit: £10 per hour
- Rate 2, For households not on low income: £25 per hour
These rates are chargeable at half hourly intervals. If you are eligible for rate 1, there is a free 15 minute service for quick jobs e.g. changing light bulbs, or tap washers.
We will advise you on eligibility and the rate you will be charged. Please be ready to show proof of benefits received if this applies.
How to contact us
By telephone: 0800 694 3344, then press option 5 (handyperson service)
From a mobile: 020 7527 5400, then press option 5 (handyperson service)