If your landlord does not or will not meet all these requirements, the council can help to make them do any work needed to bring the property up to the legal standard.
- being clear of damp and mould
- easy to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer
- fresh running hot and cold water
- safe electrical and gas appliances and installation
- working smoke alarms and a carbon dioxide (CO2) alarm in rooms that are burning solid fuel
- being free of pests such as mice, rats, cockroaches and bed bugs
- safe and secure from the risk of intruders
- good levels of natural light and ventilation
- enough space, no overcrowding
- working toilets, kitchens, bathrooms and drainage.
Damp and mould
Damp and mould can increase the risk of respiratory illness. Find out what you can do if you have damp and mould in your home.
Pest control services
London Renters Union
Become part of a city-wide community of renters who speak with a united voice and take collective action
ACORN is a community union bringing together all kinds of people on all the issues that matter to them from renting and housing to the cost-of-living crisis