Housing icon

Safe and warm grants

If you are on a low income and claiming certain benefits, or are over 60 with severe health conditions, you may be eligible to have heating, insulation and security measures installed in your home.

This may include replacement boilers, draught proofing, loft or wall insulation, heating controls, smoke alarms and security measures e.g. mortice locks, door viewers/chains and window locks.

Who is eligible?

Assistance is available for households claiming the following qualifying benefits: 

  • Income Support
  • Income-based employment and support allowance (not contribution-based ESA)
  • Guaranteed pension credit (not savings credit alone)
  • In receipt of housing benefit
  • Working  tax  credit  or  child  tax  credit  where  your  income  for  the  purpose  of  tax  credits assessment was below £15,050   
  • Council Tax Benefit (does not include single occupancy reduction)
  • Child Tax Credit (household income less than £15,050)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disablement Pension Credit (must include constant attendance allowance)
  • Income based job seekers allowance, (not contribution based JSA)
  • War Disablement Pension (must include either a mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance)
  • Universal credit

Or a severe health-related conditions for over 60's: (over 60’s):

  • Dementia or severe mental illness
  • Respiratory disease
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Autoimmune disease
  • Haemoglobinopathies

How to apply  

Call the Grant Team on 020 7527 3104 or the Energy Advice team on 0800 953 1221 or email energy.advice@islington.gov.uk.

Find out more about the process and if you qualify

Was this information helpful?

  1. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.