Giving money to people on the streets isn’t the best way to help. If you want to make a real difference:
- talk to the person or offer them a cup of tea or coffee. Being kind and interested can be invaluable
- make a donation to the Homeless Catalyst Fund, run by Islington Giving
- volunteer with one of our local homeless charities, listed on this page
- buy a copy of the Big Issue magazine from a registered vender
Concerned about someone sleeping rough?
If you are concerned about the wellbeing of someone who is sleeping on the streets, call Street link on 0300 500 0914 or visit Streetlink. This sends an alert to the local outreach team who will visit the location to make contact with the person. If you any immediate concerns for their health call 999 and request an ambulance.
During very hot and very cold weather we activate a severe weather protocol, where outreach teams are out during the hottest/coldest hours of the day offering support to those in need, as well as accommodation options to anyone rough sleeping.
If you are homeless yourself or worried about becoming homeless contact the council’s Housing Aid Centre on 020 7527 2000.
Reporting crime and anti-social behaviour
- Report a crime: 999 in an emergency / 101 for everything else.
- Report a crime anonymously with Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111
- Report anti-social behaviour: 020 7527 7272