information image

The complaints process

The council operates a two-stage complaints procedure.

Stage One

Your complaint will be passed to the relevant department, where it will be investigated and responded to. You should receive a full response within 21 calendar days.

Chief Executive’s Stage

If you feel you have not received a satisfactory response to your Stage One complaint you can ask for your concerns to be looked at by the Corporate Customer Service Team within one calendar month of the date of the stage 1 response. 

The team will consider your complaint and, if necessary, carry out an independent investigation on behalf of the Chief Executive. You can expect to receive their response within 28 working days.

Please note, these investigations are carried out at the discretion of the Principal Complaints Officer who will make a decision based on:

  • What you are unhappy about with the Stage One response
  • Information that you provide that will help us to make a decision
  • Whether we will be able to achieve the result you want
  • Whether it would be better to ask the service area to look at your concerns again.

When your complaint is about any council service

If you remain dissatisfied with how we have dealt with your complaint, you may contact The Local Government Ombudsman, an independent, impartial and free service. The Ombudsman can investigate complaints about how the council has done something. Please note, they cannot question what a council has done simply because someone does not agree with it.

You can contact them at:

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
CV4 0EH 

Tel: 0300 061 0614  (Mon-Fri, 8.30am-5pm) 

Visit the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman website.

When your complaint is about housing

You can contact the Housing Ombudsman at any time to help you sort out your complaint.

If you want to take your complaint further, after you get your final reply, you have two options:

  • Option 1: send your complaint to a designated person, who can be any councilor or MP.

A designated person helps to sort out complaints between tenants and landlords. They can do whatever they think is most likely to work. If they cannot help, they will send your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman. 

  • Option 2: contact the Housing Ombudsman direct. 

Any complaint sent directly to the Housing Ombudsman does not have to be sent by a designated person. But the Housing Ombudsman can only look into your case 8 weeks after you get the final reply to your complaint.

You can contact them at: 

Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych

Tel: 0300 111 3000


Visit the Housing Ombudsman website.

Make a complaint

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.