Information icon

Adult social services complaints process

Adult Social Services has a one-stage complaints process.

This process applies to all adult social care providers and the NHS and is based on the Local Authority Social Services and National Health Service Complaints (England) Regulations 2009.

The process covers:

  • getting it right
  • being customer-focused
  • being open and accountable
  • acting fairly and proportionately
  • putting things right
  • seeking continuous improvement to our services

How we will handle your complaint

When we receive your complaint, we will acknowledge receipt within three-working days. If you have submitted the complaint on the phone or through a face-to-face meeting, we will summarise our understanding of your complaint and send this to you in writing. We may need to contact you to listen to what you have to say and to understand what your problems or concerns are.

Our acknowledgement will confirm who is dealing with your complaint and when you can expect a response. We aim to respond to all complaints within 20 working days, but we may need longer depending on the details of your complaint.

The person dealing with your complaint will conduct an investigation and provide a written response setting out their findings. They will say whether or not they have upheld your complaint. If appropriate, we will set out how we will put things right and how we will learn from our mistakes.

Review of complaint 

If you do not accept the outcome of the complaint investigation you can request that this be reviewed within 28-days of receiving our response. Your complaint will then be passed to another officer to investigate. This officer will then conduct a separate review and advise whether or not they have upheld your complaint.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

After completing the steps above, if we still have been unable to resolve your complaint, you may appeal directly to The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman (LGO): 

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Tel: 0300 061 0614

The LGO is a free and independent service and is the final stage for complaints about councils and adult social care providers (including care homes and home care agencies).

Contact details

You can discuss the process in more detail by contacting the People Directorate:

People Directorate
Islington Council
222 Upper Street
N1 1XR


Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.