Coins icon

People who live with you (non-dependants)

Find out how non-dependants affect your housing benefit and council tax support.

What is a non-dependant?

People who normally share your accommodation but are not dependent on you for financial support are known as non-dependants. Others who live with you as a family and any children you have fostered do not count as non-dependants.

The following do not count as non-dependants:

  • carers employed by a charity that charges for the service
  • joint tenants
  • subtenants
  • boarders
  • tenants of owner occupiers
  • landlords/ladies and their partners

They do not count as part of your household.

Non-dependants are people like grown-up sons or daughters and elderly relatives. If you have a non-dependant living with you, your housing benefit and council tax support may be affected.

Non-dependant deductions

Housing benefit and council tax support are normally reduced for each non-dependant living in your home.

If the non-dependant is working less than 16 hours a week, the lowest deduction will apply.

If the non-dependant is doing paid work for 16 hours or more a week, the level of deduction will depend on the non-dependant's gross income. We will ask to see evidence of this.

Housing Benefit 

Non-dependant gross weekly income 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020 weekly deduction  1 April 2020 to 31 March 2022 weekly deduction
Less than £149.00 £15.85 £15.95
£149.00 to £216.99 £36.45 £36.65
£217 to £282.99
£50.05 £50.30
£283 to £376.99 £81.90 £82.30
£377 to £468.99


£469 or more £102.35 £102.85 

Council Tax Support 

Non-dependant gross weekly income 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020 weekly deduction  1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 weekly deduction
Less than £217 £4.05 £4.05 
£217 to £376.99
£8.25 £8.30
£377 to £468.99 £10.35 £10.40 
£469 or more £12.40 £12.45 

When are deductions not taken?

A deduction will not be made if you or your partner are:

  • registered blind
  • receiving Attendance Allowance
  • receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • receiving the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment

No deductions are made if the non-dependant is:

  • receiving Pension Credit
  • aged under 18
  • a full time student (there is a deduction for summer vacation if the non-dependant works 16 hours a week or more)
  • receiving a youth training allowance
  • a prisoner
  • has been in hospital for 52 week or more
  • under 25 and receiving Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (income based) (any age for Council Tax Support)
  • under 25 and entitled to an award of Universal Credit where the award is calculated on the basis that the non-dependant does not have any earned income (any age for Council Tax Support)
  • receiving Employment Support Allowance assessment phase only

A deduction may be delayed for 26 weeks if you or your partner are aged 65 or more and a non-dependant moves into your home or the non-dependant's circumstances change to increase the deduction.

Tell us about a change of circumstances which could affect your benefits.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.