Town Hall

Subject Access Request

How to make a Subject Access Request for your own information.

Under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to make a request for the information that the Council hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).

It helps us greatly if you complete and submit our 'Subject Access Request Form' (under 'Useful Documents' at the bottom of the page) as this ensures that we have all the information we require in order to process your request.

If you choose not to use the form, your request must include: 

  • Your name
  • Your address 
  • A description of the information you wish to obtain (please be specific – we are unable to process requests which simply ask “for all records held about me”)
  • Details of the service(s) you are receiving and any other information (such as date of birth, rent or council tax number) that could help the Council find your information 

Please help us to help you.

You can send your request by email to or by post to: 

Information Governance Team
4th Floor, 7 Newington Barrow Way
N7 7EP

For more information on how the council handles SARs, please review the 'Handling Subject Access Request Procedure' under 'Useful documents' at the bottom of the page.  

What do I need to provide to you? 

Before we are able to release any personal data, the Council must be satisfied that you are entitled to the information. If you are asking for your own information you will be asked to provide copies of two forms of identification from the list below: 

A photocopy or scan of:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence 
  • Birth certificate 

AND a photocopy or scan of either:

  • A recent bank statement (with full address) dated within the last three months; or  
  • A recent utility statement (with full address) dated within the last three months; or 
  • An Islington council tax number If you are making a request on someone’s behalf, you need to provide the above information for them and a signed authority that you are acting on their behalf; there is a section in the form that enables you to do this.  

There is no charge to process a Subject Access Request. 

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.