Skip to content
Town Hall icon

Frequently asked questions

Our Data Protection FAQs may help answer your queries.

After I send in my request, what happens next?

On receiving your request, the council will provide you with an acknowledgement. This acknowledgement may ask you for additional information to help the council process your request or we may ask you to provide ID if you have not already done so. 

You should receive an acknowledgement within three working days, if you have not received this, please contact The council will ensure that the request is sent to the correct department(s) so that your request can be reviewed and responded to. 

How long will it take? 

As long as your request is clear and you have provided the necessary identification (where required) the council will endeavour to respond to your request within the statutory period of one month. The one month period starts from the day after your request (or clarification and/or ID if required) is received. This time-frame applies regardless of which right you are exercising. 

Can I see all the information about me? 

There may be some information that we hold about you which you may not have access to. If this is the case we will explain why we have removed or redacted information when we respond to you. 

Can I have copies of the information?

You can have copies of information you are entitled to see and you can request the format in which to receive this. The council will send information to you using Royal Mail Special Delivery or via encrypted email, or you can collect this from a council office if you would prefer. 

What happens if I want you to delete all my information?

GDPR gives individuals the right to request for their information to be deleted, however this is not an ‘absolute right’ and there will be occasions where the council does not have to comply. For example, if you are living in a property in Islington you must pay Council Tax to the council, in order for this to happen, the council must hold information about you. If you have requested information to be deleted and we are unable to delete your information for legal reasons we will advise you of this. 

What happens if I think the information you hold is wrong?

GDPR provides you with enhanced rights to ensure that the data we hold about you is correct. The council will process your request and ensure that the correct department(s) review how your information is held. Where it is incorrect we will update it and advise you that this has been done. It may not always be possible to change or delete information, where this is the case we will explain this to you in full. 

Can I complain about my response?

Yes, you are entitled to complain about the information you have received or the process. This process differs from the council’s normal complaints procedure and it operates as a one-stage process. If you wish to complain you must do so in writing to or by post to: Information Governance Team, Resources, 4th Floor, 7 Newington Barrow Way, Islington N7 7EP. More details on how we manage information complaints can be found in our Access to Information Policy at the bottom of this page. 

Where can I get more information?

If you would like more information on the council’s process, or you would like some advice on submitting your request, you can do this by emailing

If you would like more information on your rights under GDPR or UK Data Protection legislation, you can obtain it from the Information Commissioner’s Office at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF. Telephone: 0303 123 1113

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.