Skip to content
Street sign and cone icon

Building materials

For permission to place building materials on the highway, you must apply for a licence.

How to apply

You must apply at least ten working days in advance, to allow enough time for Islington Council to process the licence and ensure the coordination of works. Please make sure you enclose the correct documentation as incorrect documentation could delay the process.

To apply, you will need to complete the online application form. As part of the application, you must provide:

  • The exact location where the building materials will be placed
  • The exact site address if this is different to the location where building materials will be placed
  • A complete description and information about the extent of works to be carried out on site
  • The estimated dates the licence is required
  • Conformation that you hold a public liability policy in for the sum of £10 million or above
  • An emergency contact number which is available 24 hours a day

If you will need to suspend parking, you must apply for this separately. Email

Deposit and fees

The deposit is £100 per square metre of highway to be occupied by materials. The deposit is held to cover the costs of any damage caused to the highways that may occur during works.

You must also pay a management fee. This is based on the value of your deposit.

Deposit and fee

Deposit value

Management fee

£750 or less (level 1)


£751 - £1,500 (level 2)


£1,501- £3,000 (level 3)


£3,001-£6,000 (level 4)  


£6001 or more (level 5)

The fee is 40% of the deposit

You do not need to pay as part of the application form. If your application is approved, we will be in touch by email with payment instructions.

The licence is granted for up to a three-month period and extension fees apply beyond this.

The licence fee is payable if you apply and later cancel once officers have inspected the site location. 

Apply for a building materials licence

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.