Islington’s new Local Plan was adopted on 28 September 2023. The new Local Plan consists of three elements: the Strategic and Development Management Policies, Site Allocations, and Bunhill and Clerkenwell Area Action Plan. The versions of these documents that were adopted by full council are below.
The final designed and accessible versions look a little different to the previous versions of the adopted documents and are more user-friendly. These are now available below.
- Strategic and Development Management policies
- Site Allocations
- Bunhill and Clerkenwell Area Action Plan
- View the policies map as a PDF or use the online map - once the online map is open, click ‘planning and environment’ and ‘planning: policies map’, then choose the theme area and check the layer you need to see.
North London waste plan
- Read the North London waste plan (NLWP).
The NLWP is now part of each borough’s Development Plan, alongside the London Plan, and is a key planning policy document for the determination of planning applications for waste development in North London. The purpose of the NLWP is to provide enough land for the sustainable development of waste facilities that are of the right type, in the right place and provided at the right time to enable North London boroughs to meet their waste management needs.
Documents related to the Local Plan
- Annual monitoring report
- Statement of community involvement
- Local Development Scheme - the formal work programme identifying which planning documents the council is proposing to produce or review over the next three years, and when it expects to consult on and adopt these documents.
Archive policy documents
The new Local Plan replaces the four documents that made up Islington’s previous Local Plan: Core Strategy, Development Management Policies, Site Allocations and Finsbury Local Plan. You can access the documents that made up the previous Local Plan below for reference only.
If you have any questions about the Local Plan, or if you have any problems accessing the documents, contact the Planning Policy team on PlanningPolicy@islington.gov.uk. Adopted Local Plan evidence base documents are available on request.