We want to build on the great work that is already going on in the Cally and to make an even bigger difference to the lives of local people.
We are looking forward to working with you to shape our ideas and to make sure we are focussing on the things you would most like to see.
Our ambitions for Cally
We would like to:
- create more opportunities for children, young people and families so that young people in Cally get the best possible start
- boost the local economy by supporting local businesses and helping local people into training and work
- strengthen community connections and a shared sense of belonging
- improve the local parks, community centre and library
- improve health and wellbeing and tackle air quality.
What is planned?
- A new-look Park: We have been working with Islington Play Association, Awesome and the Copenhagen Youth Project to make the park and its surroundings work better for local people, alongside major improvements to Barnard Park. We have recently finished consulting with residents on our initial proposals
- Improved Jean Stokes Community Centre: We areredesigning the centre with local people, bringing disused spaces back into use and making it more accessible. We have completed consultation on improving the Jean Stokes Community Centre and the plans are currently going through the planning process.
- Help for young people to get into work: We are improving West Library to make the building more accessible and create a new space dedicated to helping young people into work. We have completed consultation on the employment hub and plans are currently going through the planning process. The council’s newly-established youth employability and skills team are providing targeted support to young people at risk of long-term unemployment.
- Support for local businesses: We are supporting Caledonian Road Trader’s Association to developas a partnership and voice for local businesses. More affordable workspaces in Cally will help small businesses to provide jobs for local people.
- We are Cally Resident Grant Scheme we are helpingcommunity groups and groups of neighbours to act on the things that they care about.
Bringing together all this activity is the We are Cally Community Plan. The plan lays out a collectivevision for the area, developed through six months of engagement with people living and working in Cally, and the actions that will be taken to make this a reality.
The council will be investing over £1.25 million to deliver this work, and has secured a £350,000 grant from the Greater London Authority in addition.
You can find out more about the Cally on the Islington Life website.
If you have any questions or want more information about the projects please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have a ''Your Cally Update' giving you the latest from the Cally area every three months. Just follow the link and choose 'Cally' from the nine different areas of the borough.Sign up for Your Cally Update