Planning document icon

Building regulations application form and fees schedules

New electrical installations in domestic properties

Where electrical installations within domestic properties (flats and dwelling houses) are to be carried out. You can request the work to be inspected by our service as the work progresses. An additional fee will be charged subject to the description of the new electrical installation.

The fee for inspection of the electrical installation, in respect of compliance with Regulation P, will be confirmed after receipt of the description of new electrical installation. This fee is in addition to the Building Regulations fee chargeable according to our fee tables 1 and 2.

The inspection of the electrical installation will not commence until the additional fee is received.


We have revised our forms to make it easier for you to submit an application.

There is now one building regulations form which can be used for building notice, full plans and regularisation applications. Indicate which one you require by ticking the relevant box at the top of the form. The application form is located at the bottom of this page.

Please note - A Full Plan application is required where a sewer is known to be affected by the proposed building work or a sewer is discovered during the course of the building work and is located within 3m of the sewer. If you are in doubt you should contact Thames Water directly to confirm the circumstances of your site and proposed building work.

Where a property is to be converted to multiple dwellings you should also contact Thames Water where the main drain and soil stack pipe becomes a sewer serving the multiple dwellings in the same property.

Building Notice application 

This is normally used for work carried out in domestic properties. You submit the application form with the appropriate fee and can start the work 48 hours after you give notice. You must contact us at key inspection stages so that we may issue the completion certificate at the end of satisfactory completion of the job.

You should provide enough information to make sure the work is clearly identified and send layout plans and details where possible. The building control surveyor may ask for details or plan layouts if necessary to check you are keeping to the building regulations.

A Building Notice cannot be used for the following type of building: office, shop, railway premises, factory, hotel, boarding house, all places of work, residential premises with common areas or when building over existing sewers and/or drain.  If you would like your plans checked and approved before work begins, you may choose to use the Full Plans application route.

Please note - all applications must be accompanied by the correct fee. Please refer to the downloadable charges document (see 'Useful documents') or telephone our offices (0207 527 5999) for a quote.

Completion Certificates will be issued subject to satisfactory completion of works in accordance with the building regulations and full payment of fees due.

Full Plans application

This form of Building Regulations approval means that we approve your construction details before building work starts on site by checking the plans and calculations. You should include four sets of drawings showing details of the construction and layout, clearly showing what is new and what is already there, along with the application form and the appropriate fee.

We have a statutory obligation to process full plans applications within five weeks or two months if we have your agreement. Where plans comply we will issue an approval or conditional approval. If there is insufficient information we may need to issue a rejection notice and you will need to re-submit your amended plans for approval.

A Full Plans application must be used for work carried out on the following type of building: office, shop, railway premises, factory, hotel, boarding house, all places of work or residential premises with common areas, and if desired, for domestic use as defined under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 or when building over existing sewers and or drain.

You are strongly advised not to start work before you receive approval for your plans. If you start work before we give approval you do so at your own risk and you may be asked to put right any faulty works. Notice of commencement of work must be given 48 hours before starting.  The inspection fee is due after the first visit by us.

Regularisation application

A regularisation application allows you to get a retrospective approval on works that didn't originally have Building Control approval, as long as work was carried out after 6 January 1986.  In order to regularise these unauthorised works, the owner or agent should apply for a certificate of regularisation, which is dependent on the site works being exposed for inspection and may involve sampling and testing of materials used.  You should include drawings showing details of the construction and layout, clearly showing what is new and what is already there, along with the application form and the appropriate fee from the downloadable charges document (see 'Useful documents').

If you have any further queries, please contact us for advice or use the application form (see 'Useful documents').

Reversion applications

The Building (Approved Inspector) Regulations 2010: The Building Act 1984

The relevant legislation states that if an Approved Inspector is unable to carry out their functions, either they or the person carrying out the works must cancel the Initial Notice lodged with a local authority. If work has already commenced on site and the site is within the Borough of Islington, the work must, by law, be referred back to Islington Building Control to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations. This is called a Reversion.

When work is ‘reverted’ to us in this way, you need to provide us with as much information as possible to help us to determine that any works undertaken to date comply with the relevant regulations. All local authorities are obliged to levy a fee for work that is reverted to them. Our fee will be based on the size of the project (cost of work) and the anticipated time needed to be able to confirm compliance with the Building Regulations. Information you provide about inspections undertaken so far by the Approved Inspector, plus building design plans, structural design calculations, third party inspections and any photographs of the work in progress will also be of great assistance.

We have to make you aware that if we cannot ascertain compliance with particular parts of the work from your information, we are obliged to request certain works to be uncovered for our inspection. It will be our aim to keep this to a minimum.

Complaints related to the behavior of any Approved Inspector should be directed to their designated body CICAIR Ltd. in the first instance and to the Ministry for Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) thereafter.

Acceptable document formats and size

The Building Control service can accept files in the following formats:

  • Adobe PDF - .pdf 
  • Microsoft Office - .doc / .docx

All documents must have no restrictions on editing/redacting, so that the council can comply with GDPR requirements (minimum requirement: document can be saved as another file name without editing restrictions).

Other formats

Please convert the following formats into a pdf or a Word document: 

  • Images - .bmp, .gif, .jpg / .jpeg, .png, .tif
  • Spreadsheets: .xls / .xlsx
  • Text - .rtf, .txt
  • CAD (HPGL) - .plt 

If you wish to use another file type, you should check before submission as we may not be able to accept them.

File size

You will not be able to upload files larger than 10MB. Please break the large files into numbered sections to reduce the file size.

Please do not submit .EXE files or use ZIP utilities to condense file sizes. 

Was this information helpful?

  1. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.