Housing icon

Moving from Islington

If you want to move away from Islington there are a number of options, depending on where you want to live

Whether you are a social housing tenant or not, if you would like to move to another council area you can apply directly to join the housing waiting list in the area of your choice. You first need to find out which local authority your chosen area is in, and then ask them for a housing application form. Contact details for all councils can be found on gov.uk 

You can maximise your chances of moving by choosing areas where there is less demand for social housing. However, many councils have long waiting lists of their own, as there is a shortage of social housing across the country.

For more information please email us at rehousing@islington.gov.uk or call us on 020 7527 4140.

We are based at the Islington Customer Centre, 222 Upper Street, London, N1 1XR. Our offices are open 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.

Ways social housing tenants can move out of Islington:

Home Swapper  swaps across the UK

Home Swapper helps you to swap homes with another tenant. You can find an exchange partner anywhere in the United Kingdom. The website is for council or housing association tenants only. It is free to council tenants but some housing association tenants may have to pay a small fee to register, if their landlord is not part of the scheme.

Housing moves – moves within London

Housing Moves is run by the Greater London Authority and allows tenants of London boroughs or housing associations to move from, where they live now to a different part of London.

Homefinder UK – moves across the UK

Homefinder UK allows council tenants and some housing association tenants to move from one part of the UK to another. You’ll need to contact your landlord to see if they are a part of the scheme. You may be eligible for the scheme if Islington Council have confirmed that you are threatened with homelessness or are homeless.

You can watch this short video about an Islington resident who used the scheme to secure a new home.

Seaside and Country Homes Scheme – for over 60s

This scheme is open to council and housing association tenants over 60 years old, who live in London and would like to consider moving to the coast or countryside.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.