Skip to content
Door icon

Home contents insurance

The council does not insure your belongings - it is the responsibility of council tenants and leaseholders to take out a home contents insurance policy in case of fire, theft, flood or vandalism.

A typical policy will cover loss and damage* to:

  • furniture and fittings
  • personal belongings
  • clothes
  • jewellery and other valuables (such as computers, televisions, bicycles etc)
  • rented equipment.

Policies will also cover theft of house keys and the contents in your freezer.  

The council offers a low cost insurance scheme run by Aviva which is available to Islington Council tenants and right-to-buy leaseholders.

'New-for-old' insurance

The Aviva policy covers the replacement of home contents under five years old on a ‘new for old’ basis (except bed linen and clothing which are replaced at current value, less an amount for wear and tear). It is important to work out how much it will cost to replace your possessions when deciding the level of insurance cover you need as if you undervalue your contents, you will not get the full value of your claim.

How to apply

Please contact the Tenants and Leaseholders Home Contents Insurance Scheme team to request an application form, on 020 7527 2000.

Keeping up the payments

To make sure that you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments. We can cancel the policy if your premium payments fall into arrears and you will not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

Start date

Insurance starts when we inform you that you have been accepted onto the scheme. We will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying. You will be notified in writing if, for any reason, you have not been accepted into the scheme.

Notes about the policy

If during the period of your insurance cover your home is likely to be unoccupied (e.g. if you are in hospital, extended holiday) for more than 60 consecutive days you must advise Islington Council.

Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure that the sum insured is sufficient to cover all your household items and personal effects.

You do not need to have a clear rent account to be accepted on the scheme.

Please call us on 020 7527 2000 if you require any further information.

Terms and conditions apply, contact us by phone for more information.

*All goods replaced new for old, with the exception of clothing and linen, which will have a deduction for wear and tear.

The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited. Aviva Insurance Limited Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. FP.ENT.353.VC 

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.