Skip to content

Housing services unavailable from Friday 15 December – Monday 18 December

Housing Services will not be available on Friday 15 December from 3pm. During this time, a telephone service is available for emergencies. Please call our main switchboard on 020 7527 2000. 

The service will resume as usual on Monday 18 December at 9am.

Apartment icon

Thames Water

Help paying for your water and wastewater

In April 2021 Thames Water changed the way that council tenants pay for their water and wastewater. The council has stopped charging tenants for water and wastewater and Thames Water has started charging them directly.

There is help available from Thames Water for anyone struggling financially.


Over 6,500 Islington households have so far qualified for WaterHelp – a scheme run by Thames Water to help those on low incomes – and received a 50% discount on their entire water bill. Qualification is based on total Household Income – that’s all the income, allowances and benefits for all members of the household (including any Housing Benefit). If you receive disability benefits you don’t need to include that money.

If your total income is below £20,111 you could qualify, subject to eligibility checks. You can find out more on their website

Priority Services Register

If you need extra help, Thames Water have a priority services register that vulnerable people can sign up to. Almost 4,000 Islington households are on their Priority Services Register. This helps to ensure that priority help is given to customers with mobility and other challenges or a medical need for water, should there ever be a problem with supply. But it’s also for those that might need to communicate with in different ways (braille, large print etc.) or in different languages.

We also offer a doorstep password service if you are concerned about bogus callers.

You can find out more on their website or by calling freephone 0800 009 3652.


Other financial support schemes 

Thames Water is keen to ensure they help every Islington resident who may qualify for support. As well as discount on bills Thames Water offer other financial support schemes, including:

  • A scheme to cap bills for those on a water meter who either have a water dependent medical condition or three or more children under 19
  • A Payment Matching scheme for those who may struggle to pay their older water debt
  • A Hardship Fund (courtesy of the Thames Water Trust Fund) that can help the most deprived households with white goods and other support
  • A range of payment plans if you are struggling to pay your current bills and / or arrears

 For financial help call Thames Water's Extra Care team on 0800 009 3652 so they can talk through the best options for your needs, or visit their website.


Can I switch to a water meter?

Contact Thames Water to let them know you wish to be considered for a water meter and they will see if it is possible to install one. It is not possible to install water meters in all our properties.

If you have applied for a water meter but Thames Water cannot install one you can request an Assessed Household Charge tariff. This will base your water bill on the average amount people in similar properties use. You can find out more on Thames Waters websiteThree in five households already have reduced bills by being on the Assessed Household Charge where you’ve requested a water meter but Thames Water aren’t able to fit one, perhaps because of access or shared supply.

Can Thames Water disconnect my water supply?

No, even if you owe them money, Thames Water can’t, by law, disconnect the water supply of domestic customers. 


I’m struggling to pay my bills, can you help me?

If you are struggling to pay your bills, it is essential you seek help as soon as possible. We work with SHINE, a free energy advice service and fuel poverty referral network for Londoners. SHINE London can help you save money on your energy bills and assess the needs of vulnerable tenants and refer them to the Thames Water discount scheme. You can visit their website, email them or call them on 0300 555 0195 to find out more. 

Citizens Advice Islington can give free, confidential and independent advice on paying bills, rent and mortgage. You can contact them via their free advice line 0808 278 7836, Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm.


How can I get in touch?

For information on how to pay your bill, how to have a water meter fitted and to see if you are eligible for any help through the Water Help scheme for low-income households, contact Thames Water by free phone 0800 009 4238, Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-1pm or visit their website.

If your question hasn't been answered above you can contact our Home and Communities team on 020 7527 5300.