Skip to content
Door icon

Making alterations to your property

If you are planning on carrying out any work, including alterations, redecoration or refurbishment to your property you must apply to Home Ownership for permission to carry out alterations to your property.

Pay an alteration fee

You must apply even if you do not require or have already obtained planning permission.

  • Permission must be sought prior to any work beginning.

To do this please contact:

Home Ownership Tel: 020 7527 7715  Email:

Once permission has been granted, please think about the impact on your neighbours and show consideration by ensuring the following-

  • Works are only carried out between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.
  • No work should be carried out on Sundays.
  • Noise and dust must be kept to a minimum.
  • No building materials or equipment can be stored in communal areas.
  • Rubbish must not be left in communal areas, and must be disposed of responsibly. Please refer to the council’s website for disposal of building materials.
  • Any part of the building that is damaged must be made good at your own cost.

If you employ someone to carry out work for you, remember to check that they are suitably qualified and that they have appropriate insurance. 

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.