Why are we doing it?
The council is concerned that small businesses are being increasingly priced out of the borough due to high property costs. More recently, the impact of Covid-19 has changed the way we all live, work and communicate, and has caused significant hardship for many local businesses. Affordable workspace will play a vital role in local economic revival.
What are we doing?
We recognise this is not a quick fix, which is why our commitment to affordable workspaces is a long-term strategy.
The council appoints workspace operators to run the spaces it secures through planning obligations. In lieu of paying rent, operators charge affordable rents and deliver a range of services that benefit the local community and businesses, such as:
- Employment and skills initiatives
- Business advice and support
- Mentoring and networking
- Cluster development
- Community engagement
We also use external funding to develop workspaces within existing properties owned by the council.
Our affordable workspaces
- SPACE4: Co-working and office space with a focus on workers’ co-operatives, ‘tech for good’ businesses and social innovators.
- FC Designer Workspace: Studios and textile work areas including photography studio.
- FC Designer Collective: Retail and workshop space for local designers and makers to showcase and sell their products.
- Better Space: Co-working and meeting space.
- TownSq: Islington: Three Spaces offering co-working, office space and recording space.
Visit 'Our workspaces' more information on each space.
Social value achieved so far
By providing a range of workspaces across the borough of various sizes, we have delivered over £1.24 million equivalent of social value output up until March 2022.
Read our report - Delivering impact: Social value in Islington’s Affordable Workspaces
Get in touch
We are keen to hear from workspace operators who have experience supporting entrepreneurs, start-ups and small businesses to manage the spaces secured through the Council’s strategy. These operators will be tasked with:
- Making workspace genuinely affordable for local micro and small businesses
- Delivering a broad range of business support initiatives
- Creating employment, skills and training opportunities for residents and young people
- Supporting the development of Islington’s local business clusters
We want to partner with organisations who share this core ambition, who will help us create places where residents play an integral role in shaping their local economy and place.
If you are a workspace operator and would like to be kept informed of the latest opportunities, please email email@example.com.
If you are a resident or business who would also like to enquire about affordable workspace, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.