Icon of a licence

Shop front licences

You need to apply for a licence to sell goods on a public pathway in front of a shop or business.

The licence fee is calculated by the area you would be permitted to trade from by the square metre price for your location.

The goods on display/on sale should generally be a product related to what is being sold inside the shop, for example a grocery shop may only display fruit and vegetables outside. Any other products may be considered on application.

We need to do a site visit to estimate the fees and to agree on the display dimensions before a licence can be issued. Please contact the Trading on our streets team to arrange an assessment.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.