Conditions vary from market to market but generally guidelines are as follows:
- traders should trade at the location and within the diameters of the pitch size stated on the licence and stall card
- gangways and pavements must not be obstructed
- traders must be courteous and respectful to members of the public, other businesses, residents and officials
- ensure the items sold are safe and compliant
- traders must have public liability insurance for the duration of their licence
- traders should display a stall card while trading
- refuse should be disposed of responsibly. All traders have a duty of care to keep the public highway undamaged and well maintained
- all vehicles should be out of the market during market operation times
- all payment of fees must be up to date.
Conditions specific to food traders
- all licensed food traders shall achieve and maintain for the duration of their licence a Food Hygiene Rating Standard of 3 or higher
- to avoid possible contamination, food must not be placed directly onto the floor
- food handlers are required to wear clean protective over-clothing when handling unwrapped food
- where high-risk food is handled there must be good hand washing facilities. These must include a basin or sink with a supply of hot and cold water
- the food business operator must carry out a fire risk assessment
- appropriate fire extinguishers must be provided and checked every 12 months.
Market operating times for full-market traders
Holders of full-market trading licences can set up their stalls two hours before the market opens to the public.
Electricity is only supplied at Whitecross Street and Chapel Market.
- we provide, at a charge, connection cables for traders to use
- electricity charges are incorporated within the monthly fees – there is no extra cost
- electrical power must only be used for the purpose of lighting and the operation of electrical scales and tills, or other agreed services
- traders will be requested to complete a form to declare appliances to be used - see Useful documents, below.
If you need to use a mobile electrical generator, you must get agreement from us first. If approved, it must be positioned so that:
- it is not a danger to the passing public
- it is not a fire hazard to the stall or goods
- it does not create a noise or fume nuisance
- inflammable fuel is stored away from the stall in London Fire Brigade-approved containers.
More in-depth information on our standard trading conditions and our street trading procedures and guidelines can be downloaded from 'Useful documents' below.