Skip to content
Document icon

Scrap metal dealer licence

Anyone buying or selling scrap metal must be licensed by their local authority.


This licence applies to mobile collectors, fixed sites and motor salvage operators. 

Fixed-site dealers must register with each local authority where they store scrap.  

If there is no store then the dealer should register with the authority where they reside. 

Mobile collectors must have a licence from every local authority in which they trade.

The licence lasts for three years and needs to be renewed after that period. 

You must inform us of any changes to your business circumstances, such as change of address or management.