Child performance licence

All children that take part in films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, that take place on a licensed premises, or sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid require a child performance licence.

The purpose of the licence is to ensure that all children are adequately safeguarded and supported.


There are two parts to the application form:

  • Part 1 should be completed by the production agency 
  • Part 2 should be completed by the child’s parent or legal guardian.

You will need to send us the completed form and:

  • a copy of the child’s birth certificate or passport (please do not send originals)

  • a passport-style photo of the child taken in the last six months

  • you will need to state 'Child Performance Licence Application' in the subject matter of your email

  • a letter authorising any absence from school, signed by the head or deputy head teacher.

If a child misses more than three consecutive school days, a tutor must be supplied who must be registered with us. You must negotiate this with the head-teacher prior to the licence application.

You must apply for the licence at least 10 working days before the start of the performance.

We do not issue six-month ‘open’ licences.

You can download the application form from 'Useful documents' below, and email it, along copies of supporting evidence, to or post it to Pupil Services at 222 Upper Street, London, N1 1XR.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.