This policy explains how the information we collect about you is used and your rights in relation to that information.
Controller Data Protection Officer (DPO)
London Borough of Islington is the Data Controller and our Data Protection Officer (DPO) is the Head of Information Governance.
You can contact the DPO, c/o Information Governance Team, LB Islington, 4th Floor, 7 Newington Barrow Way, London. N7 7EP, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information we collect
• Name and contact details
• Visual images
• Date of Birth
• Household details, lifestyle and social circumstances
• Employment and educational details
• Students records and financial details
• to enable us to monitor our performance against our equality and diversity objectives
• to ensure we are targeting our service to meet priority groups
• to meet our legal and statutory duties and responsibilities
• to process enrolments
• to support your learning
• to carry out administration
• to support your application for government funding
• for general statistics and research
• for own internal records so that individuals can be provided with a high quality service
• to contact learners in response to a specific enquiry
• to customise services so they work better for you
• to detect/prevent crime/fraud
Our legal bases for using personal data are under contract with the Education and Skills Agency (ESFA), Greater London Authority (GLA) or their successor organisations to provide (adult) education and to comply with our applicable statutory obligations and to perform our tasks carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council.
• Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) or its successor organisation
• Greater London Authority (GLA) or its successor organisation
• Learning Record Service (LRS)
• Third party (data processors) organisations Islington ACL contracts in obtaining education and employment related outcomes
• Community training providers
How long we keep your personal information
Non-accredited provision (formerly Community Learning (CL)
6 years after the end of the financial year in which the academic year concludes or concluded
Accredited provision (formerly Adult Skills Budget (ASB)
2007-2013: Until 31st December 2022
2014-2019: Until 31st December 2030
From 1st August 2019 onwards: 6 years after the end of the financial year in which the academic year concludes or concluded
You have the right to access, rectify and delete personal information, in addition to other rights as explained in the full version of our privacy notice.
You have the right to contact us with a complaint if you’re unhappy with the way your personal data has been used, please contact our Information Governance Team, London Borough of Islington, 4th floor, 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP, or by email at email@example.com
We are committed to resolving complaints about our collection or use of personal information.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO if this issue is not resolved.
You may at any time control access to and use of your personal information by contacting the Council’s Data Protection Officer [ please see above]
Such control will include the ability to see what information we hold and to opt out of any use of your personal information and to prevent disclosure to any third party except as required by law or the order of a court of proper jurisdiction.
If you have any complaints regarding Islington Adult Community Learning provision/services that you have been provided with, you can contact the Department for Education’s (DfE) secure online contact form or write to them at:
Department for Education