Play Streets promote children’s health and wellbeing by giving them the freedom to have fun and play safely ‘on their doorstep’. They also give greater priority to pedestrians and help to raise awareness of air pollution.
- your street can be closed to all traffic, except residents
- Play Streets can only happen during daylight hours
- there's no charge
- we can supply signs and equipment
- a great way to meet your neighbours
Play Streets and COVID-19 update
Many children have spent more time indoors during the COVID-19 pandemic, and had less opportunity to be active through play and socialise with others.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Play Streets have not been able to take place in recent times, but we’re now making plans to re-launch our play streets in line with the Government’s road map out of lockdown.
Existing Play Streets in Islington will be able to resume once COVID-19 legal limits on social contact are removed. This is currently planned for 21 June, but may change depending on further government announcements.
How you can start a Play Street
Before you apply to have your road closed, you first need to:
- talk to all your neighbours and explain what you want to do.
- explain that as residents they’ll still be able to park and drive slowly when the street is shut.
- there will be consultation done by us, so you need as many resident supporters as possible.
- recruit a team of people to help you on the day
Find out more and download an application form
To apply, simply download and complete this application form and email it back to us (300KB)
Application forms should be submitted by Monday 14 June to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t worry if you can’t meet the deadline, you can apply any time. The council processes applications every three months. The next deadline date for applications in 2021 will be 31 August.
How we'll support you after a successful application
- we'll provide you with temporary traffic signs, barriers and cones required for the road closures free of charge
- and meet your team and advise on the way the road closures must be carried out.
See Play Streets in Islington
To return your application form or if you have any questions.
Email the road safety team: email@example.com