What is clinical waste?
Clinical waste is waste produced form healthcare and similar activities that may pose a risk of infection (e.g. swabs, bandages etc.) or may prove hazardous (e.g. needles).
Who can use this service?
Residents wishing to access this service need to make an application through their own GP or local hospital. We cannot process requests direct from residents. We will contact residents once the service has been set up by the GP or local hospital.
Collections are made every Tuesday and Friday. Collection frequency varies from twice weekly to monthly, dependent upon the needs of the resident.
Leaving clinical waste out for collection
- only supplied yellow bags can be used
- bags must be tied/secured to prevent spillage
- bags must not be over three-quarters full
- split bags will not be collected
- all waste must be clearly identifiable and kept separate from other non-clinical waste
- all sharp objects must be placed in plastic sharps boxes
- non-clinical waste items must not be put in clinical waste bags
To find out more information about this service, please call 020 7527 2000.
Free Sharps disposals
There is an existing process for sharps disposals which is free for all Islington patients. All pharmacies commissioned to provide needle exchanges will accept sharps for any condition, including diabetes.
Needle Exchange Pharmacies
These pharmacies provide sharps collections for all conditions, including diabetes.
- Clerkenwell Pharmacy, 51 Exmouth Market EC1R4QL
- Apex Pharmacy, 199 Old Street EC1V9NP
- Douglas Pharmacy, 4 Ritchie Street N10DG
- Clockwork Pharmacy, 273 Caledonian Rd N11EF
- Dermacia Pharmacy, 260 Upper St N12UQ
- Apex Pharmacy, 204 Essex Rd N13AP
- Savemain Pharmacy Ltd, 166 - 168 Essex Road N18LY
- Superdrug Stores PLC, 54-55 Chapel Market N19EW
- JC Wise Chemist, 518 Hornsey Rd N193QN
- Well Pharmacy, Nov-13 Junction Rd N195QT
- Arkle Pharmacy, 39 Junction Road N195QU
- Apteka Chemist, 179 Seven Sisters Rd N43NS
- Nuchem Pharmaceuticals Ltd, 159 Stroud Green Rd N43PZ
- Highbury Pharmacy, 14 Highbury Park N52AB
- Devs Chemist, 110 Seven Sisters Road N76AE
- Superdrug Stores PLC, 05-Sep Seven Sisters Rd N76AJ
- Avni Ltd t/a Wellcare Pharmacy, 552 Holloway Rd N76JP
- Carters Chemist, 47 Roman Way N78XF
- York Pharmacy, Unit4, 400 - 404 York Way N79LR
Please email Opsadmin@islington.gov.uk if any of this information is incorrect.