Recycling and rubbish

Clinical waste collection service for residents

We offer a clinical waste collection service for residents that need one. We supply yellow clinical waste sacks or sharps containers (boxes used for needles), which when full, can be collected by arrangement.

What is clinical waste? 

Clinical waste is officially divided into five categories: 

  • Category A  which are soiled surgical dressings, swabs and other similar soiled waste 
  • Category B which are discarded syringe needles, broken glass and any other contaminated disposable sharp instruments or items
  • Category C which are microbiological cultures and potentially infected waste from pathology Departments or other clinical/research laboratories. Please note, we do not collect Category C clinical waste
  • Category D which are drugs or other pharmaceutical products
  • Category E which includes items used to dispose of urine, faeces and other bodily secretions or excretions.

Who can use this service?

Residents wishing to access this service need to make an application through their own GP or hospitals including The Middlesex, Royal Free Hampstead, St Mary's.

Collections times 

Collections are made every Tuesday and Friday.

Some customers have twice weekly, fortnightly, monthly and ad-hoc collections.

Leaving clinical waste out for collection

  • only yellow bags can be used (can be supplied to you) 
  • bags must be tied/secured to prevent spillage 
  • bags must not be over three-quarters full 
  • split bags will not be collected
  • all waste must be clearly identifiable and kept separate from other non-clinical waste 
  • all sharp objects must be placed in plastic sharps boxes (can be supplied to you)
  • non-clinical waste items must not be put in clinical waste bags. 

To find out more information about this service, please call 020 7527 2000.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.