Removal of Archway gyratory
The removal of Archway gyratory has been a long-held aspiration for the Council and the local community. Following a public consultation on the proposals to remove the gyratory that Transport for London (TfL) carried out in late 2014, the construction started in February 2016 and was completed in summer 2017.
The works have created a new public space in the heart of the town centre, introduced a new two-way traffic system and delivered a number of other benefits.
- Street-level crossing on Archway Road to replace the underpass
- Countdown on pedestrian crossings
- Pedestrianised area/new public space and seating
- Tree planting to create an attractive environment in the new square
- Improved access from Archway tube station to bus stops in the vicinity
- Improved access to shops and businesses on the former gyratory island
- Relocated bus stops
- Cycle parking in the square
- Two-way cycle lane in the square
- Segregated cycle lanes for enhanced safety around the gyratory
- Toucan crossing
- Better road layout with lower risk of collision
- Change of one-way gyratory traffic system to a two-way operation
- Additional parking and loading on Junction Road
Live road travel information is available from tfl.gov.uk/trafficnews or @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter. To find out how your bus journey may be affected, please visit tfl.gov.uk/bus/status or follow @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter.
Please visit tfl.gov.uk/archway-gyratory for more information about the project and travel advice.
Navigator Square is the winning name in the vote to name the newly opened public space. The Council will conduct a consultation with affected residents and businesses before officially naming the space in January 2018.
The Council has recently supported Archway Market to conduct a trial in the newly built public space over the Christmas period. The Council will continue working with Archway Market to facilitate its relocation to the new space following a consultation with the local community.
The Council has recently commissioned the delivery of a two year programme of events in the new public space to help bring activity to the space and the wider town centre. If you would like to run events in the new public space or have any ideas for events we could run, please email email@example.com; subject: Shop front improvements.
Shop front improvements
A transformation of 13 old shop fronts in Archway has been completed, including a gift shop, cafe and tailor (see photo). The new shop fronts are in keeping with local historic buildings, with more attractive signage, better glazing, awnings and lighting, and better access.
Read more about proposals for Archway by downloading the documents at the bottom of this page.
If you have any queries or would like to be kept informed about projects happening in Archway, please contact:
Telephone: 020 7527 2000