Skip to content
House icon

Supported accommodation

We fund accommodation which helps vulnerable people develop and maintain their capacity to live more independently in their home. This may be in a tenancy, as an owner-occupier, as a lodger or in another semi-independent living arrangement. 

 We can provide services to:

  • older people
  • homeless families with support needs
  • people with mental health problems or learning disabilities
  • vulnerable adults
  • victims of domestic violence
  • young people and care leavers
  • people who misuse drugs or alcohol
  • travellers and other excluded groups.

We can help with:

  • home security (reminding to lock up, using appliances safely, fire safety, controlling access)
  • arranging repairs, improvements, adaptations, completing forms, applying for benefit
  • resolving neighbour disputes
  • resettling, and things you need to do to help you live more independently
  • access to other support or community services
  • employment or training opportunities
  • warden/scheme manager support in sheltered housing
  • other professionals, family and neighbours, by advocating on your behalf
  • your or an individual's well-being by keeping an eye on you/them
  • providing alarm systems so you can call for help in an emergency
  • life skills  (cooking, budgeting, kitchen hygiene, food storage)

Supported accommodation doesn’t provide personal care, such as washing and bathing, dressing and medical assistance. 

Housing support for council tenants and leaseholders

Tenants and leaseholders can get impartial and confidential housing-related advice through a partnership scheme with Single Homeless Project (a charity for homeless and vulnerable people in London).

We can help with:

  • claiming benefits
  • managing your money
  • furnishing your home
  • resolving neighbour disputes
  • getting work and improving your employability, through education and training workshops
  • general life skills to improve your health and wellbeing
  • information and advice on accessing local services and amenities
  • putting you in touch with cultural and religious organisations
  • providing resettlement support when a client signs up or transfers to a new property
  • referrals to more tailored external support services as required.

To refer yourself to this service, or access and/or download the referral form, please visit the SHP website.


For supported accommodation enquiries and referrals:

Commissioning and strategy

For commissioning enquiries:

Was this information helpful?

Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.