This consultation has ended
|Start date||30 November 2021|
|End date||18 January 2022|
In November 2020, Islington Council introduced the Canonbury West low traffic neighbourhood (LTN) trial to make the streets cleaner, greener, and healthier for all. We installed bollards and traffic cameras to reduce traffic and road danger and create more space for walking, cycling and wheelchairs, while allowing emergency vehicles and buses through.
The trial aimed:
- To make it easier and safer to walk and cycle
- To clean up the air we breathe and protect and improve the environment
- To reduce road danger, eliminate all deaths and serious injuries
We consulted on the Canonbury West people-friendly streets programme from 30 November 2021 - 18 January 2022. Thank you to everyone who provided their feedback.
Key findings from pre-consultation engagement
We have now published our pre-consultation engagement results report for the Canonbury West PFS trial. This report includes all feedback up until the public consultation (30 November 2021 - 18 January 2022) from Commonplace, and Trial feedback surveys, email correspondence, formal objections and stakeholder meetings.
- 367 Commonplace comments
- 491 emails
- 575 Trial feedback surveys
- 751 consultation questionnaires
Top 3 problems
- 34% - Volume of traffic
- 29% - Traffic rat running
- 23% - Fast traffic
Top 3 ways to make it better
- 24% - Make the road access only
- 17% - Slow down traffic
- 13% - Road closure except for cycles and buses
Trial feedback survey (percentage of respondents)
Top 3 things people like about the trial
- 17% - Reduces traffic
- 12% - The area is more pleasant
- 11% - Reduces air pollution
Top 3 things people dislike about the trial
- 67% - More traffic on main roads
- 46% - Increases air pollution
- 39% - Car trips are inconvenient
*The Commonplace figures refer to comments received before the trial was advertised. The figures provided for Commonplace and trial feedback surveys are for the percentage of respondents. The Commonplace platform was open between May 2020 and March 2021, the trial feedback survey was open between March 2021 and November 2021.
Key findings from the public consultation
We have also published our independently written consultation report for the Canonbury West PFS trial. This report includes feedback received through the public consultation (30 November 2021 - 18 January 2022).
- 37% said it is easier to cross the streets – 25% disagreed
- 34% said the streets look nicer - 28% disagreed
- 33% said the air is cleaner – 28% disagreed
- 32% said there is less noise from traffic – 32% disagreed
- 28% said they spend more time in the area – 16% disagreed
- 31% said it is easier to walk and cycle to local shops and businesses – 12% disagreed
- 59% of participants have a car, versus 29% of households in Islington
- 28% of participants who have cars say they walk and cycle for shorter trips instead of driving
- 26% of participants mentioned LTNs increasing traffic on boundary roads
For more information on the consultation results and next steps for the Canonbury West people-friendly streets neighbourhood, please visit our dedicated webpage.