Schools icon

Apply for a school place in-year

How to change school mid-year, or get your child into school if you’ve just moved to Islington

You need to use our in-year admission online form to apply for a school place when you:

  • are new to Islington and need a school place
  • want a change of school
  • need to apply for a reception or year 7 place but you moved to Islington after the closing date

You can apply at any time.

Choosing the right school for your child  

  • talk to your child – involve them as much as you can
  • think about what's right for your child – don’t rely on what others tell you or what you read on parenting websites
  • you can view all primary schools in Islington and view all secondary schools in Islington 
  • visit schools – contact the school for visiting dates
  • think about the journey – how easy will it be to get to the school? Some schools may be further away but are easier to get to
  • check the admission criteria and cut-off distance in the school fact file
  • don’t choose only one school – your application will not be treated more favourably and you could lose out on another school you like

If you need further advice, contact the School Admissions team. They can’t tell you which schools to apply for, but they can explain the admission criteria and tell you where there are vacancies.


Don’t complete this form if you want to apply to a private school. 

Apply online

You may also need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) for some schools. This information is included in the school’s fact file. The SIF must be sent directly to the school. You must still complete the online e-in-year application form. 

Help filling in your online application 

Phone: 020 7527 5515 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday for advice or to book a face-to-face appointment. 

What happens next 

Your application gets sent directly to the school you are applying to. A decision will normally be made within 10 school days. You should receive a letter from the school. If not, please contact us on 020 7527 5515.

Proof of your address 

The address you give must be your child’s current permanent address (the place where your child spends most of their time Monday to Friday). If you give false or misleading information about your (or your child’s) address, the school place may be withdrawn, and you may be prosecuted. 

You need to provide one of the following: 

  • Your Council Tax reference number (you can find this on your Council Tax bill).
  • A copy of your most recent rent, mortgage statement or tenancy agreement.
  • Two documents which show your address, e.g. a utility bill, bank statement, or a letter from your GP, hospital, dentist or optician 

Proof that your child lives with you

You also need to provide one of the following: 

  • A copy of your most recent child benefit or family tax credit letter, as long as it shows your child’s name and address
  • Two documents from the following:
    • A letter from your child’s GP, dentist, hospital or optician. 
    • NHS Medical Card. 
    • Child Trust Fund document. 
    • The page in your child’s health record book that has their name and address. 

All documents must be less than a year old. Please email your documents to Don’t delay your application, even if you don’t have all the proofs of address that we need – we’ll contact you later with advice on what to do.

Fair Access Protocol 

Islington’s Fair Access Protocol (PDF) ensures that children without a school place are found a suitable school quickly.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.