Business rates

Partly occupied premises

If you only occupy part of a building, find out what business rates relief you may be entitled to claim.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) may be able to value the unoccupied property separately. There is usually no charge for the first three months, or six months in the case of industrial property.

After the initial three-month rate-free period, most properties will be charged 100% of the business rates as though the property was fully occupied.

If the VOA can't value the unoccupied parts separately, you may still be able to claim some relief under Section 44a of the Local Government Finance Act 1988, which deals with relief on part-occupied properties.

For further information

Please email or call 020 7527 2633.

Was this information helpful?
  1. Please select

  2. Data protection: We will handle your personal information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with the council’s Fair Processing Notice.