We can connect your business with schools to volunteer with young people to offer work placements, mentoring, careers advice and other forms of work inspiration to help them get the employability skills they need for the future.
100 hours World of Work
Islington Council has committed to ensuring that all young people in Islington benefit from 100 hours’ experience of the world of work by age 16. This includes a wide range of career-related activities delivered through both primary and secondary schools, which help young people to build a greater awareness of their future career options, key transferable skills and social capital.
To deliver on this commitment, Islington Council is supporting local businesses in delivering free careers related activities to schools across the borough, inspiring young people and helping them become ready to enter the world of work.
How can I get involved?
1. Decide which activities you / your organisation is able to offer. This could be any work-related experience including career insight talks, work tasters, mentoring, part-time work, careers events, hosting workplace visits and offering work experience placements.
2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest.
3. We will then be in touch to discuss your offer in more detail
4. The activities will be added to our World of Work online portal for schools at www.islingtoncs.org/wow
5. Interested schools will book via the website, and we will liaise with your organisation to arrange the activity, making the process as simple as possible for you.
Why work with schools?
Building links with the local community is good for business and engaging with local schools is a great way to achieve this. Here are just some of the benefits to your business:
- Social responsibility can set you apart from your competitors and generate positive publicity.
- It brings genuine professional development opportunities for your employees – building their confidence, preparing for management roles and learning new skills.
- It’s a cost-effective way of keeping your staff engaged and energised.
- Staff who participate in school engagement programmes often report a real sense of personal and professional satisfaction.
- A great opportunity to add value to the curriculum and inspire young people to choose a career in your sector
For more information please contact the 100 hours World of Work team on
T: 020 7527 1892